Recreation & Entertainment in Knox County Indiana
Vincennes and Knox County offer a wide variety of entertainment and recreation for any taste. Vincennes University offers a full season of dramatic and musical productions and the Old Town Players, a non-profit community theatre, offers four presentations per season. There are also numerous productions of professional theatre troupes in nearby cities.
Vincennes University is currently home to the Red Skelton Performing Arts Center in honor of one of Vincennes favorite sons.
The Old Town Players community theatre (OTP) offers 6 shows throughout the year and routinely attracts diverse audiences from as far away as the Isle of Man, England.
Outdoor recreational opportunities are in abundant supply in the area as well. Hiking, biking, fishing, boating, camping, golfing, you name it, Knox County has the perfect location for your favorite pursuits.
Baseball, basketball, football and soccer are also available for fans and participants.
Knox County Parks
- Knox County Parks and Recreation
- Ouabache Trailsis the largest recreational area in the area with 254 acres of rolling woodlands. Located on Lower Fort Knox Road, it includes primitive and modern camp sites, more than four miles of nature trails, three playgrounds and fishing access to the Wabash River.
- Pyramid Mound consists of two acres on Ramsey Road in Vincennes. Believed to have once been a native American burial mound, this State Historic Site remains undeveloped to preserve its archaeological integrity.
- Hillcrest Park is located off Hillcrest Road on Pine Hill Drive and includes picnic spots and playgrounds, as well as two sections fenced off for use as a dog park.
- Emison Mill is a small picnic area located between the towns of Emison and Bruceville in Knox County and has fishing access to Maria Creek.
- Fox Ridge Nature Park (at the site of the former Fox Ridge golf course) is a 96-acre park dedicated to remaining a natural landscape. There are over five miles of walking and bicycling trails, picnic areas and fishing access.) Map of park boundaries...
- Vincennes Parks and Recreation
- Gregg Park, this 40-acre site is the home of Rainbow Beach swimming pool, lighted tennis courts, an enclosed shelter house, and open-air shelter house, horseshoe pits, volleyball facilities and a variety of playground equipment. Each spring it is home of the popular fund-raising event Relay Knox County, a Team Event to Fight Cancer.
- Kimmell Park the access site has an ADA accessible paved boat ramp and large paved parking lot. At the entrance to the park is the Vincennes Boat Club with their private docks and ramp. Available to the public at Kimmel Park are several nice picnic areas, a very large covered picnic pavilion, trash cans, an old basketball court, and a small RV campground (with electric).
- Four Lakes has lighted tennis courts, a shelter house, playground facilities and small lakes for fishing.
- Lester Square Park has a basketball court, a small grass field for baseball, softball, and kickball, playground facilities, a sand volleyball area, and restroom facilities. The newest edition to Lester Square is are 1200 sq. ft. Skatepark! the Lester Square Skatepark has 2 quarter pipes, 2 banks, 2 grind rails, 1 3-sided pyramid, and 1 launch box.
- Chicago Park includes a multi-purpose court, ball diamond, playground apparatus and shelter house.
- Kelso Creek Park has three softball fields which are lighted, rest rooms and a concession stand.
- The Vincennes Cub League Complex on Bambino Drive is home of five lighted baseball and softball fields. As one of the finest youth baseball/softball facilities in the country, the complex includes a modern concession stand/pressbox, childrens play land, and a state of the art indoor hitting facility. Over 500 games are played each year from April to August. The site has played host to four Babe Ruth/Cal Ripken World Series since 1998, including a live national telecast of the August 26, 2001 championship game on Fox Sports Net.
- The Vincennes Youth Soccer League is a relatively new addition to the sporting scene and one of the fastest growing.
- The Vincennes Cub League is another good example of the popularity of local youth sports. Headed into its 49th year, VCL now has 62 baseball and softball teams involving approximately 725 local boys and girls from age three through high school.
- The Girl's and Women Softball League in Vincennes is about 25 years old and currently serves approximately 350 girls on 33 teams in five age brackets. Games are played on three fields, with another in the planning stages.
- The South Knox Baseball League also has a long history of success. It's been around for at least 40 years. Unaffiliated with any national baseball organization, the local league serves about 180 players each year. Tee ball was added in 1997 and Pony League for players age 14 to 18 in 1998.
Golf Courses - Knox County
Golf Courses - Lawrence County
- Lawrence County Country Club -- semiprivate
- Cedar Brooke Par 3 -- public, par 3
Golf Courses - Daviess County
- Washington Country Club -- semiprivate
- Country Oaks in Montgomery -- Public
Golf Courses - Sullivan County
- Sullivan Elks Country Club -- Semiprivate
Golf Courses - Crawford County, Ill.
- Quail Creek Country Club in Robinson -- semiprivate
- Oak Glen Golf Course in Stoy -- public
Golf Courses - Dubois County
- Sultan's Run in Jasper -- semiprivate
- Jasper Municipal -- public
Golf Courses - Vigo County
- Hulman Links Golf Course -- public
- Rea Park Golf Course -- public
- Country Club of Terre Haute -- private
Golf Courses - Evansville Area
- Helfrich Hills Golf Course -- public
- Fendrich Golf Course -- public
- Hamilton Golf Course -- public
- Clearcrest Pines Golf Course -- public
- McDonald's Golf Course -- public
- Oak Meadow County Club -- Semiprivate
- Evansville Country Club -- Semiprivate
- Quail Crossing - public
- Victoria National -- private.
Golf Courses - Orange County
- French Lick Springs Resort -- resort, two courses.
Golf Courses - Pike County
- Pride's Creek Golf Course -- Public
Golf Courses - Martin County
- Loogootee Lakeview Golf Course -- public
- Crane Naval Station